1998 John D. Hamilton Community Service Award
By Matthew Jones
Kenneth W. Strickler was presented with the 1998 John D. Hamilton Community Service Award at the Athenaeum Hotel in the Chautauqua Institution on Friday, June 19, 1998. The award is presented annually by the Chautauqua Region Community Foundation to one individual in recognition of their dedication, leadership and support in furthering community spirit and enhancing the quality of life in the Chautauqua Region.
Strickler was born in Avalon, Pennsylvania, a suburb of Pittsburgh, and attended the University of Pittsburgh, receiving his Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration. After serving in the military he worked as a sales representative for Royal Typewriter Company. That brought him to Jamestown, where he purchased an office equipment corporation with offices in Warren, Dunkirk, and Jamestown
He sold his business in the mid-1970s and joined the Bankers Trust Company of Western New York as Vice President and Business Development Officer. During the 1980s, he was employed by Chase Lincoln First Bank as a consultant in its Custom Financial Center and Trust Department. Most recently, he has served as a Director and Chairman of the Board of the Jamestown Savings Bank.
His business, civic, and community involvement includes:
- Past Director of Blackstone Corporation, Jamestown, New York
- Past Director of Unity Mutual Life Insurance Co., Syracuse, New York
- Past Director of Bankers Trust Company of Western New York, Jamestown, New York
- Member of Regional Advisory Board, Chase Lincoln First Bank, N.A.
Civic. Community, and Religious
- Founder, Past President, and Director of Chautauqua Region Community Foundation. Currently, serving as Chairman of Investment Committee.
- Past President of Jamestown Civic Auto Ramps, Inc.
- Past President of Jamestown Area Chamber of Commerce
- Chairman of United Way of Southern Chautauqua County’s 1996 Campaign
- Go-Chairman of Lakewood Memorial Library Building Fund Campaign
- Trustee and Chairman of Investment Committee of Fredonia State College Foundation
- Chairman of Reg Lenna Civic Center Building Campaign
- Past President and current Member of Moon Brook Country Club
- Member of Sportsmen’s Club
- Member of Jamestown Rotary Club
- Member of First Presbyterian Church of Jamestown
Ken and his wife, Lois, have two children: Jean Spiegelberg, who resides in Colorado and their son, Douglas, who lives in Lincoln, Nebraska. Ken and Lois have two grandchildren.